Monday, February 1, 2016

pinhole


When I have a camera in my hand, I know no fear.
~ Alfred Eisenstaedt

My first images with my DIY pinhole camera!!
Too fun!!
The nature of the images with a pinhole camera are to be soft. 
I think with a professionally tooled pinhole you can gain better focus.
The DIY pinhole has a greater chance of rough edges that can lead
to diffraction and increased softness.

I turned my DSLR into a pinhole camera by modifying the body cap.
Very easy. The most advanced tool you need is a drill with a 1/4inch bit.
I plan to revise my making method to improve the focus/softness.
I am really pleased with my first attempt to make one! :)

See here for making tips:

I took these shots "blind" in that the light was low and I had
to aim and shoot and hope I got the subject framed as I wanted.
Not too bad.
The fix to this is to take my 50mm lens (the approximate focal length of the pinhole body cap),
and "preview" the image then switch to the body cap.

Especially in low light, you can't escape a long exposure with a pinhole camera.
A tripod and remote release device are must haves.

I guesstimated the exposure time. But with a real lens I can make an image and then
calculate the time to get an equivalent exposure with the pinhole.

See here for exposure information:

More links:


Canon 6D ISO 400 f/125 - f/185 appx. 45" - 1'  Pinhole body cap (EFL ~50mm)


No comments:

Post a Comment